Sunday 15 May 2011

Day 5 Cross to Bristol


Simon Sez

Day 5 Cross to Bristol, a mere 31 miles although John will have it differently.

Up the brutal ascent of the Cheddar Gorge but only for 150 yds and then the amazing Strawberry Line constructed in 1869 through the Mendips from Shute Shelve (where the dreadful Judge Jeffreys hanged everybody in sight after the Monmouth Rebellion) to Yatton.  Yatton is where my first girlfriend, Claire, lived and also where I picked up my first speeding offence in 1963 (fined £2.00).  The railway carried strawberries from Somerset to Bristol.  It is about 9 beautiful miles complete with tunnel but sadly no steam engine.  It closed along with so many other rural lines that we have cycled along, in 1963 (thanks to Mr. Beeching)



To Bristol through Nailsea where I once worked in the Sniffery Department at Coates Cider factory.

In Wraxall we meet the grandmother of all hills, Wraxall Hill. It was more than brutal, almost vertical. John left his Icebreaker at the bottom and had to cycle up 1.5 times. He does’nt seem to have much sense when it comes to the worst hills – stays in the saddle and just pushes harder on the pedals (others get off and push the bike)

Into Bristol we collapse for lunch at an old drinking haunt of mine, The Albion, in Clifton where I grew up.  In the sun, kippers from Cornwall and more Doombar from Rock. It travels well. My very old friend Jim Ross joins us.


I took John on a bicycle tour of Clifton and of Clifton Colleg I attended as a boy.We stayed  in great comfort with Jim and his wife Rosemarie and went for a curry in the evening. Not very friendly food when cycling. I plan to try and stay ahead of John in the morning

I could murder a cigar.



No comments:

Post a Comment